Sunday, April 24, 2011

Sunday 24th Cappucinos, Music shop wash out, Ducks Nutz, A new driver to find

Awake just after 6.30. Yippee. I'm finally starting to sleep in. Yippee. Always works like this when I'm on holidays. By the time I can sleep until almost 7 it will be time to go back to work.

Today  our plans are fairly non existent expect to collect  or at least check on our shoes and boots tonight.
We are all a bit slow to get organsied today.  Hubby suggests a coffee as it has gone 7.30 by the time we are ready to leave for a walk. I tell him to go ahead as I type up my Saturday post.  When I eventually go to coffee shop he is still wait for our coffees. It seems there is a problem with the machine. ( first time ever) Oh no!
We have some iced water and decide to head back and make the boys get up for breakfast. meanwhile Hubby has been talking to one of the waiters and was told it is a Hindu Holy day.  A water holy day.  it explains the massive amount of motor bikes going past with whole families  crowded on. They've all been to the beach.
Perhaps not a good morning to go down there says hubby who isn't keen on crowded places.  ( in my mind I can imagine it might be interesting. Oh well) Yesterday we wandered past a small beach ceremony. At first it looked like a young couple were being blessed but then when we walked back I noticed they had a small child on the males lap. It was Saraswati day, ( day of learning ...) Or perhaps something to do with the age of the child. I would have loved to take pictures but I become acutely aware of being an  onlooker and an outsider and I feel like it would be intrusive especially as there is already a couple ( western) standing very close to the ceremony and looking on. We step away a little and watch for a short time.


Back to Sunday.
We go to breakfast and thankfully the coffee machine is working.  We have breakfast then stay for coffee as we usually do. No real plans, just relaxing but I do need to ring our driver today and try and organise a day trip. last year our driver Ketut took us to Kintamani and the Sukawati markets and  to the Elephant Safari park at Taro/ He also took us to a wholesale type shop and we enjoyed walking around without being hassled. the prices were good. and we liked the idea of heading back there. 
 

Back to the room and
 I research and make a list of the places we want to go. The G staff have been in and our bed is nice and tidy with the cover folded down.

I  practise pronounciation( I'm shocking)  and ring Ketut. But he is not available.  Time to post on the forum and ask for help.
 By this stage it is also 12.  
We certainly don't feel like eating so decided to go for a short outing to the Yamaha Music Shop, (Toms Music) on the By pass road. Youngest would like a guitar strap. ( Actually he wants one like mine but given it is over 40 years old I doubt he'll ever find one the same so if we can find a nice one I'll give him mine.)  we aren't sure if  Toms is open because yesterday Hubby had noticed it looked boarded up.   Out to the road and we head towards JL Tamblingan to find a cab. We decide we'll ask the taksi to wait for us as we aren't sure about grabbing a taksi from there. The driver seems to know where we want to go so Hubby and I head off. Youngest has elected not to come as he's hooked on something on the tv.   

We don't realise how far it is.  Pretty much all the way to Kuta and the Galleria and it is boarded up so we get the driver to drop us off at the Galleria instead.  Not sure yet if it is the only place called the Galleria. There seems to be a big Duty free building and a hypermarket and a Martaharis.  On doing some more reading when we get home I discover there is a Centro Galleria. Perhaps this was different. I'll have to investigate. We have a good explore anyway and after an hour decide to head back to the G for lunch. Lunch at the G. It's close on 2 o'clock.
Snitzels and burgers for all. Eldest and I try the iced chocolate drink. beautifully icy with a nice big lump of vanilla ice-cream in it.


 
 Time for a lie down  and to read my book. I pass on the idea of a scotch and coke knowing full well there is at least 1/2 a bottle to go. Oh dear. I'l have to have a few tonight.  I should know better by now than to buy a big bottle of  booze  duty free. Time is getting on. Almost 4 and I wanted to check out the live music at the Ducks Nutz and we need to get some money exchanged just in case they are ready tonight.  We hurry, just hubby and I. If we like the Ducks Nutz we will come back for tea with the boys. Around the corner down
Jl Tamblingan until we reach the Sanur Beach Hotel  and then a little further, taksi's seem to be a bit scarce today.


Finally we get one to take us to the Circle K opposite Hardy's for money exchange. We change money , cross the road again and grab another taksi to the Ducks Nutz. It's small, people seem comfortable and I suspect pretty much everyone there is Aussie except the staff. It's not rowdy. Or at least not at 5pm.
There is one guy wandering around who looks "in charge." He's watching /working the room, checking everyone is ok. Chatting to the staff etc. Hubby wonders if it is Ron. But I don't think he is as I have a vague memory of seeing a photo of Ron.  He comes and says hello and shakes our hands, I don't catch his name and ask, "Are you Ron?"   He's Bill. The other owner of the Ducks.  Keeping a close eye on the place and making sure everyone is happy.
I am enjoying the guitarists..The place is comfortable, prices are good and we'd happily come back for a meal without the kids. Youngest would complain about the smokers as it's a small place and it was rather warm.
 We finish our 2nd drinks, pay the bill and I make a point of saying good bye to Bill and thanking him.
Time to head back to the G.
I check my emails and the BTF and discover a list of driver suggestions.  I pick one and make a call.  Driver organsied for Tuesday. phew. Break the news to eldest that he HAS to come on a family outing on Tuesday.

Youngest by this time is keen for a beach walk so we head down and walk around near the Mercure on the beach. Youngest is looking for someone to play beach chess but it is too late in the day.  Last year he had a game with a non english speaking passerby who we guessed was staying at the hotel. he beat him. Youngest is a reasonable player. Top at his small school and when we came last year he was a bit sad that he was missing out on a tournament his  school was in. We suggest he comes back tomorrow a bit earlier and that he might find an opponent.

We wander the beach, past Cafe Kessuma.  The place is fairly crowded. I take a few snaps with my phone. Enjoying taking photos on my good camera using my bifocals has defeated me and when I inquired at the optometrist in Hardys about reading glasses I was told 2 days. Almost going home time.



We head out to get the shoes and boots. They are not quite ready. some final touches to my boots which look a bit more bikie boot than girlie girl boots but with size 11 extra wide feet they are not too bad. I'm happy.
We organise to collect them the next day.
Eldest's new shoes look almost identical to his old ones. We'll compare them tomorrow when we have both to look at.
Then it's back to the G for tea. .We get back and youngest who stayed behind is too tired for dinner but the rest of us are determined to eat. I have my green curry. yum!



Swim time!
Then it's back to the room.
It's about 10.30 I'm yawning. I can't face a scotch and coke tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment